February, and we are back !
So, a quick review of January…
Because of several issues, Thomas directly focused on his February project. It consists of a dungeon crawler for which level design data will be saved on a database server.
Bastien isn’t entirely satisfied with his own project that isn’t totally polished (LINK : read what he says about it on his blog). It however allowed him to have his first experience with Unity and to wholeheartedly adopt it. He perfected the game during February.
We told you we would go, and indeed we did!
First, a quick presentation in its organizers’ words : “The Free and Open source Software Developers’ European Meeting (FOSDEM) is a two-day event organized by volunteers to promote the widespread use of Free and Open Source software.“
Talks were held on plenty of topics and booths presented a variety of products, softwares or project teams. Some were well known – like Gnome, Firefox, Ubuntu, LibreOffice… – but there were also others far less renowned (or finished).
Bastien and Pascale, the true warriors they are, already attended FOSDEM on Saturday. The rest of the team joined on Sunday to follow a few talks about Open Source games, of course, but also lots of other topics.
||Personally, I felt both very intelligent (I understood the title of the books, I who didn’t code at all only eighteen months ago!) and very inexperienced. Since I don’t have much technical knowledge, I couldn’t follow everything.
But next year, hopefully, I’ll have improved!
Even though this project became secondary, we are still working on it, especially on visuals.
Last one? Angelic forges… which gave our imagination a hard time.
The long and hard coding work is ongoing, thanks to our devs !
This month, they worked on jumps, in a very particular form : the main character is launched using the mouse movement – a catapult-like system – and gets thrown upon release of the mouse button.
Moreover, they made a great effort to give an elastic effect to our character’s movements since he is, after all, a blob.
||To manage this, I cut the sprite’s rectangle following a grid, and I move the different points to distort the rectangle. The texture (Bloboy’s image) is thus distorted in the same way. This gives the impression that the sprite is crushed in the direction of the mouse pointer.
And tests are conclusives!
Now, the effect still has to be polished…